Easy Meals for the Whole Family
Do you struggle to find new, easy and tasty meals your whole family would enjoy? Here we have three delicious recipes that you can mix and change ingredients to best suit you and your families lifestyle.
Sweet Potato Sheppard's Pie
Half onion (diced)
500g beef mince
1 tomato (diced)
1 clove of garlic (diced)
1 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 large sweet potatoes (Peeled and chopped)
4 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup grated tasty cheese
salt & pepper
1. Add 1 tbsp olive oil into a hot pan on the stove, add onion and cook until brown. Add garlic followed by mince, continue stirring until combined and mince is brown.
2. Add tomato paste and water and stir until combined. Let simmer for 10-15 mins on low heat.
3. Place sweet potato into the microwave for 3-minute increments checking in between until cooked.
4. Add 3tbp of olive oil, salt, and pepper into sweet potato and mash until smooth.
5. Transfer mince mixture into a baking dish, evenly spread the sweet potato mash onto the top, add cheese and bake until golden brown and crispy on top.
6. Remove dish carefully with heat-proof gloves and allow to cool slightly.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Tofu, Sweet Potato, Lentil, and Broccoli Stew
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, washed and diced red onion, chopped
A ¼ cup of red lentils, uncooked
2 cups of Broccoli, cut into small florets
2 cups of water
½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. of black pepper
500g firm tofu
¼ cup tomato paste
1. Prepare the vegetable and place in a pot.
2. Add the lentils, spinach, spices, and water.
3.Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer and cook until the sweet potato is soft.
4. Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes and bake in the oven for 15 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil until crispy on the outside.
5. Add the tofu to the veggies and lentil and stir in the tomato paste.
Cook until hot, then serve.
TIP: This recipe is suitable for vegans.
TIP 2: This recipe can easily be doubled to make extra servings so you can cook for the whole family or make extra portions for lunch/dinner throughout the week.
Pesto Chicken with Roasted Veggies
250g chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
2 tbsp. basil pesto or sun-dried tomato pesto
Black pepper, to season
2 small beetroots, uncooked
¼ butternut pumpkin
1 medium carrot, uncooked
Dried mixed herbs, to season
Black pepper, to season
1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F).
2. Wash and cut the vegetables into small 2cm pieces and place in an ovenproof dish.
3. Season with rosemary, olive oil, and black pepper and then place in oven.
4. Bake for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Cook them a bit longer if you like them crispy.
5. Whilst vegetables are in oven spread the pesto evenly on the chicken strips. Season with black pepper.
6. Place the chicken on a tray lined with greaseproof paper, in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until done.
7. Place one serve of the chicken on a plate and serve with some roasted vegetables.
TIP 1: Add a handful of spinach on the side of the plate to increase your veggie intake.
TIP 2: Substitute the chicken for Salmon fillets if you want a delicious meat-free option.
TIP 3: This recipe can easily be doubled to make extra servings so you can cook for the whole family or make extra portions for lunch/dinner throughout the week.