Tasty Meal Ideas That Won’t Hurt Your Wastline
TOFU, SWEET POTATO, LENTIL AND BROCCOLI STEW
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, washed and diced red onion, chopped
¼ cup of red lentils, uncooked
2 cups of Broccoli, cut into small florets
2 cups of water
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. of black pepper
500g firm tofu
¼ cup tomato paste
- Prepare the vegetable and place in a pot.
- Add the lentils, spinach, spices and water.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer and cook until the sweet potato is soft.
- Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes and bake in the oven for 15 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil until crispy on the outside.
- Add the tofu to the veggies and lentil and stir in the tomato paste.
- Cook until hot, then serve.
TIP: This recipe is suitable for vegans.
TIP 2: This recipe can easily be doubled to make extra servings so you can cook for the whole family or make extra portions for lunch/dinner throughout the week.
MINCE STUFFED EGGPLANT
1 eggplant, cut the top and bottom off then through the middle to make 2 cylinder pieces. (136 cals)
200g extra lean beef mince (270 cals)
1 tbsp. of dried mixed herbs (2 Cals)
2 tsp. of black pepper (0 cals)
1 tsp. of chilli powder, optional (0 cals)
1/4 cup of tomato paste (59 cals)
1 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil (119 cals)
50g feta cheese, crumbled (110 cals)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Place the eggplant on a lined tray and bake until slightly soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium to high heat in a frying pan.
- Once hot, add the mince and break it apart using a wooden spoon/spatula.
- Add the spices and tomato paste. Continue to cook until mince is cooked through.
- When the eggplant is slightly soft, remove from oven and scoop out some of the flesh.
- Mix the eggplant flesh through the mince before evenly diving the mince mixture between the two eggplant halves. Top with the crumbled feta.
- Place in oven and bake for a further 10-12 minutes.
- Enjoy with a simple salad of lettuce, tomato and cucumber with balsamic vinegar drizzle.
TIP: You can easily substitute the beef mince for meat substitutes like Quorn or Tempeh.
ASIAN CHICKEN STIRFRY
1 cup slaw mix or stir fry mix= approx 50cal
50g of bean sprouts = 11 cal
100g Chicken breast = approx 185 cals
20ml Sweet Chilli Sauce= 60 cal
Spray large fry pan with oil and slaw mix for 2 mins on med heat. Add 1 tbs garlic and ginger and chilli to taste. Top with chicken and a handful of fresh coriander, wedge of lime and a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce.
Season chicken breast with salt/pepper and spray with oil. Place chicken breast in the oven for 30-45 mins 180 till cooked or over 65c OR cook in a pan till cooked through.
SESAME CRUSTED SALMON
This delightful salmon recipe will tantalise your taste buds! Low in carbs and high in omega fatty acids, this dish is an excellent source of protein and makes a mouth-watering meal.
Makes a great meal for a dinner date — cook 2 serves for yourself and your partner!
INGREDIENTS1 fillet salmon
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp coconut oil, melted
2 heads bok choy
Rub coconut oil into salmon fillet until the fat has absorbed.
Spread the sesame seeds across a plate. Press one side of the salmon into the sesame seeds to coat.
Steam bok choy for a few minutes, drain and then place on plate.
Place salmon fillet into a hot pan skin down, and cook for about 4 minutes on a medium heat, or until the salmon is cooked halfway through.
Flip the fillet and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Serve salmon over bed of bok choy & enjoy!